Pages

Friday 13 May 2011

What I Learned On The Intertnet Today - Healthy Eating

A little of everything - fruit, veggie, dairy, grain
I've been checking out some of the other blogs on the internet about raising healthy eaters.  Many of the authors are registered dieticians.  From the 6 or so I've read today I have made this shortlist for you…so you don't have to spend the time I did.

Before I present you with the list of ideas on getting kids to make healthy food choices I want to share this one thought with you.  It was an "aha" or "lightbulb" moment for me and I realized how true it was and is.  The gist of the thought was this.

Parents don't seem to have any difficulty understanding that one day their kids will successfully attend and graduate from school, learn to read and write, drive a car, learn to swim, etc., but for some reason when it comes to getting their kids to learn to make good food choices and eat a varied and healthy diet they throw in the towel.  So they are giving the kids the message that they don't have to eat what isn't their favourite, they can have whatever they want and a healthy diet isn't really important.        

5 Ways to Create Healthy Eaters

  1. Don't be a short order cook.  If you start preparing different meals to meet every individual taste you are doomed to kitchen slavery and your family will come to expect it.  It often takes 10-15 exposures to a food before it is accepted as the norm.
  2. Provide a fruit or veggie with every meal.
  3. Learn to think outside the box.  Who said you can't put some leftover chili on a baked potato?  Why can't a whole wheat wrap contain dinner?
  4. Always have cut-up veggies (store bought or home made) in the fridge along with a healthy dipping choice.  It's a great pre-dinner appetizer and calms the kids while dinner is being prepared or can be a great family time while everyone is doing their bit to help get dinner on the table.
  5. Include the kids in meal planning and prep.  Then when they are hungry and hanging off the fridge door staring longingly at the array of possibilities, they won't hesitate to cut up an apple or orange, grab a few carrot sticks, heat up some leftovers, etc.  They won't be afraid of food prep.

Clean Out the Fridge Healthy Meals Are a Huge Hit

This was something my husband introduced me to and our kids always loved it, as do my daycare kids.  I'm told that his siblings and parents came up with some really interesting creations for Saturday lunch which was their weekly clean out the fridge meal.  For my daycare it is often on Friday, always a hit, and can't be anything but healthy when you have had pretty healthy meals all week.

No comments:

Post a Comment